05 June, 2009

Black-Thighed Falconet, Pendek, Kelantan 5 June 2009

Went back to my hometown, Kota Bharu (meaning New Castle. Now you know why I support the Magpies!) . I saw a silhouette of a bird on a lamp post. Took a photo of the bird thinking that it was a shrike and what a surprise as it turned out to be a very small raptor which I had not seen before. A Black-Thighed Falconet (Microhierax fringillarius). No bigger than a tiger shrike I was fascinated to see this bird starting out so early on its hunt for prey. From what I could gather, this pair have made the lamp post in font of my brother-in-law’s house their regular perch.

_DSC0007
Ruffled feathers
_DSC0060 Beginning to dry out
_DSC0044
Looking smart and ready to go.
_DSC0040
Joined by the other half.

2 comments:

  1. This was so close.
    I usually see it very high up on the dead tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were about 15ft up the lamp post. I was able to get quite close without spooking them.

    ReplyDelete