21 January, 2010

Is it True? : Kemensah’s Great Slaty

DSC_0324

DSC_0329

DSC_0332  A group of three
  People have asked me whether it’s true that there are Great Slaty Woodpeckers in Kemensah (most recently during the MNS outing to Kemensah on 10th January 2010) . They are huge woodpeckers, probably the biggest in this region.

Yes, I have seen them but that was the one and only one time and I’ve not seen any since. These long-range  record shots were taken on 15th March 2009 before I started this Blog.


4 comments:

  1. Wow!.. you found the Largest Woodpecker in the world. Rare finding.
    I search the net for this species pictures from the Peninsular Malaysia - only 2 pictures;-
    1. Great Slaty Woodpecker, 17 May 2003 by Tee Lian Huat -Kuala Gandah.
    2. 27.12.2006 - by TS Chien, location not mention.
    Most of the pictures are from Sabah and Thailland.
    Congratulation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great sighting! I wish this bird still in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuyoh you did it again Madi! Congrats
    Mikebirder

    ReplyDelete
  4. good one, seen them many times never got a chance to land me some good shots like yours, envy!

    ReplyDelete